Chandler, AZ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: I was incarcerated and had a child during that time and gave temporary guardianship to my mother. She went to court and

Got guardianship for my son, she will not let me see him and I need help on figuring out how to get him back please help me. She even went as far as to call my parole officer and tell him to put a restraining order on me as a part of my parole stipulations and my PO lied to me and said that it was effective & for a year I thought I couldn’t even contact them about my child... until I got a new PO who went over my stipulations with me

And informed, Me that that rule was never in effect . What do I do? I want my son and I want to sue my PO

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To end your mother's guardianship of your son, you will need to demonstrate to the judge that it is in your child's best interest to end the guardianship. First, you will need to file a Petition to Terminate Guardianship in the court where the guardianship was granted. You can use the Judicial Council form GC-255. You will also need to give notice to the current guardian using form GC-020. You should check the court's website for any other local forms you may need before filing. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney as well.

As for suing your parole officer, you should post a question in the civil attorney's category. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.