Melbourne, FL asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Florida

Q: My mom moved in with me so I could take care of her as she does not want to go into a home. She paid off my mortgage.

and I added her to the deed so she was comfortable. Later I took out a small 2nd mortgage for a car, she signed it but was not happy about it. she wanted a walk-in tub and wanted to remodel my bathroom. She has been living with me for four years. She has not remodeled the bath or paid any groceries or utilizes. I have asked her to pitch in and she said paying the mortgage was all she was going to do. She has a significant savings, but will not help. She said she lives here for free. She has always referenced her will every time one of us (siblings) would do something that upset her. She was consistently telling us who had been written out of the will that week based on whatever we did to upset her. We were very close before she moved in and now we argue all the time. Is there anything I can do to get her to help out with money and household stuff?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason E. Neufeld
Jason E. Neufeld
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Aventura, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unfortunately, its her house (partially, as she's on the deed) and you cannot force her to spend her money as unfair as it may seem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.