Stillwater, OK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: How do I enforce a judgement if the person it's against won't pay?

I won a small judgement against my previous landlord and as soon as we walked out of the courtroom the landlord told me the judge was wrong and she wasn't going to pay. Can I place a lean against her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: One who has a small claims judgment has the same post-judgment remedies as any other judgment creditor. You may execute on on the debtor’s property, you may have a garnishment is­sued against the defendant’s assets or wages, you may have an asset hearing. You could also file a lien against the debtor's property. If you know where their bank is, garnishment is often the most expedient. Collection is often times more difficult than obtaining the judgment. Best of luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.