Costa Mesa, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: I’m a citizen. My mom and 14 year old brother live in Mexico. Can I petition them together to speed up sibling process

Im 23 year old citizen. My mom came to the U.S illegally and returned voluntarily to Mexico in 2002, no deportation. She’s been in Mexico ever since. I know I can petition her and it’ll be fairly quick process. But she also has my brother who is 14 and he can’t stay in Mexico alone. Is there a way to petition them together?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mario Musil
Mario Musil
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clackamas, OR

A: Hello,

You mother would be an immediate relative and you can petition for her and she would not have to wait for visa availability - meaning she could be a green card holder in about a year or so (not considering Covid delays). Your brother however is not an immediate relative to you and would be subject to visa availability - for Mexico they are processing those cases from 1998. However, once your mom got her green card, she could petition for her son (your brother) under the F2a category that is current at this time - meaning it would take a year or so (not considering Covid delays).

You may wish to speak to an immigration attorney to come up with the best strategy for your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.