Rockville, MD asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: biological ‘father’ has not seen child, no financial contribution, or communication with mother in over a year.

is this considered abandonment? termination of rights..? child’s DOB is 1/3/19. last seen early october 2019, last heard from late september 2019. last financial contribution late august 2019. sent email this past weekend asking to see child.. located in montgomery county maryland

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Parental rights may only be terminated through a formal court proceeding. The long absence may be considered when determining custody, but it is not a termination of rights. Without a court order both parents have equal rights to parent the child. You should file for custody to determine financial support of the child and an apportionment of the rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.