Depoe Bay, OR asked in Elder Law, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Lemon Law for Oregon

Q: I purchased a 1971 mobile home in October 2019 October. I started having major problems right away

Roof leaking . Kitchen cabinets falling in. Bathroom plumbing backed up. Kitchen sink leaking which took 5 times to fix. Ceiling leaks in bedroom, bathroom, and smaller bedroom, and around the front door. I was told the house was worked on by professionals, yet when I tried to get information from the former owner, he never returned my calls. I texted the real estate agent and do not get any response. They obviously do not want to talk to me. I had an inspection done, belatedly, and based on the inspection, the house should never have been sold. There are structural issues. I did contact several contractors to come and see what they would have to do.. Prices in the $20 thousand area.. I did get the roof temporarily fixed just a month ago.. I am 77 yrs old. My income is limited. The sad part is that the seller of this house had purchased it in May for $12,000. Did some minor fixups, paint,

plumbing, etc.. Then resold the house to me for $48,000. I am sick about this.. !!

1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I recommend you contact the Oregon Dept. of Justice's Consumer Protection hotline at 503-378-4320 or toll-free in Oregon at 877-877-9392.

As you've learned, inspections should always be done before purchasing.

Because you are low income Legal Aid Services of Oregon may be able to assist you. Go to this website to find a location near you:

Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.