Columbus, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Status adjustment through marriage with US citizen

I got married recently with a Venezuelan and he has a pending asylum case which he filed after one year of arriving in the US with a tourist visa. As of today his work permit is expired. I want to submit petition i-130 along with adjustment of status. Which issues is he going encounter in the process since he filed for the asylum after 1 year of being in the US?

Also, in the process of application; USCIS ask for his current work history and we are not sure if providing his current employer info would be a good idea. Since his work permit expired recently, his employer will ask for new permit/social security (which he has, but expired.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yanky Perelmuter
Yanky Perelmuter
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Overland Park, KS

A: It is difficult to determine what issues one would encounter during the immigration process without very particular details regarding the applicants entry, applications submitted, immigrations history, etc.

Regarding employment questions on Form I-485, check the USCIS Policy Manual at for information related to your situation and employment authorization. Additionally, the form instructions have very good guidance on the process. I highly recommend engaging a competent immigration lawyer to assist with your petition and application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.