Oklahoma City, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: If my ex sends me court papers, could it stop me from moving to another state....even though he’s in another state too?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There is a lot to unpack here. First, has a Paternity case been filed? If not, then he really doesn't have any rights at all. If, not he other hand, the court has determined paternity, then Oklahoma will have jurisdiction over custody and visitation. With that said, all you would need to do is file for relocation and under the circumstances you described, it would be granted. This is a lot more complicated then these few lines of text. You should hire an attorney and let them guide you down this path.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.