Buffalo, NY asked in Real Estate Law for New York

Q: My Mom was sick and I was sole heir to her estate upon her death I switched the will to my sons name with an agreement

I needed to have no assets at time because of health ins issues My wife had cancer and I lost my job So being power of attorney for her I switched the will to him with a verbal agreement that it would be split up later Also two other sons. Since then he put his girlfriend on the deed to secure a small investment she made to the property Now they want to keep it all He admits he screwed up snd I should have made a contract but is there anything I can do to claim a part of the estate She is fighting it not him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may want to repost this with Probate and Estate Planning added as categories - you are mentioning a will, being an heir, and an estate. There's no guarantee that every post is picked up, but you might have better chances of a response in those sections. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.