Moline, IL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: will i get in trouble for Running away from a place my mom makes me live because she kicked me out

my mom kicked me out and let me live with my boyfriend and signed a paper saying his dad had custody but then she changed her mind and signed me over to my grandparents who i barley know we didnt go through anything legal it is just a paper out of a notebook saying i can live there do i have to live there if she kicked me out and they don't legally have custody of me ? When your 17 i heard that you dont get into legal trouble for "running away" If i move out when im 17 is that running away since they dont legally have custody of me

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Legally, you are required to live wherever your parents say. No court order means nothing enforceable typically. Your parents can choose to give guardianship or to take it away. Anyone who harbors you can be charged with harboring a runaway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.