Brooklyn, NY asked in Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: I need a property attorney to help me take ownership of my dads land and stop the violations?

My father passed away this year. He owns a home. My name is not on the deed and I still live there. Recently I received many violations by the state of Jacksonville Florida. I feel harassed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I am sorry for your loss and the passing of your father, please accept my condolences and sympathy for your loss and this difficult time, You will need to speak with a Florida Probate Attorney, you will also want to get a copy of the deed to have it reviewed. It is likely that some version of probate will be required and needed in order to transfer the property into your name and or other beneficiaries. Is there a Will, is there a surviving spouse, who is on the deed, do you have any siblings, was this your dad's homestead property, all of these issues will matter. If there is no Will and the deed is not clear on ownership and survivorship rights, then the Florida Intestate Statutes (without a Will) are going to apply. As far as violations, you should make sure that the mortgage, hoa fees, taxes and any violations are paid and or addressed, at minimal contact all these offices and let them know a probate is pending or will be necessary to address and resolve all these issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.