Salt Lake City, UT asked in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Utah

Q: I paid rent the past 6 months without a lease and I can prove that can I sue for being locked after paying rent

I paid rent on the 15 I was locked out and my room was broke into everything taken from it along with my safe broke open and emptied I had a dead bolt that only I had the key to. What cAn I do if I had no lease but te ts from roommate that renterd to me that contain rental agree ments and video of paying rent each month I called the police and the lady lied saying I didnt live there ever and that things I had proof of purchase threew offer up were not mine and the police did nothing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If you can't afford an attorney, go to They will represent you if you qualify.

Once the police choose to back out of the situation, your only option is to sue the landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.