Wylie, TX asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Texas

Q: As a recent property owner, there's a pipeline easement that was recently purchased by the developer.

They are requesting a "contribution" in a contract agreement to abandon the easement. Do I have to pay any "contribution" requested from the easement holder to abandon the easement? What are my options to terminate the easement that has not been in use for over 40 years and is no longer be needed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It sounds like the developer is trying to make arrangements for an agreement to abandon the easement. If they're asking for a "contribution" that sounds like a voluntary thing, but it's not clear where the easement runs. If you are one of the property owners across which the easement lies, it might be in your interest to contribute to this effort, in order to remove the easement from your property and allow you to use the area more fully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.