Galva, IL asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Illinois

Q: What can I do about my abusive ex lying on a OP to get custody of our 2 year old son?

My son's father abused me for 3 years I finally got away from him so He filed a Order of Protection making false claims that I physically abused our son. He did not disclose in the petition that I have had a OP on him for my kids and myself. Or that he was arrested and charged with aggravated domestic battery and indicated by DCFS for child endangerment. The Judge we had at the plenary hearing was the same judge I had for a prior OP/Custody case that he made it very clear he didn't believe a word that came out my mouth. So as you imagine I didn't have a chance the judge granted the 2 year OP based off he believed my son's father to be more credible. They brought up a DUI charge in the hearing that I have not been found guilty of or even had my day in court for yet. The Judge used the DUI against me in his ruling. Also can any of this be grounds for a successful appeal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: This is something you need to discuss with a Family Law Attorney right away. The sooner you hire an attorney, the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.