Columbus, NJ asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for New Jersey

Q: can a non parent kick a minor out the house legally?

My mom lives with me, also my girlfriend and her two children do too. My girlfriend's 15 year old daughter hit my mother. And my mom kicked her out can she legally do that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Are you really asking this as a legal question? You live with your girlfriend, her 2 children and your mother and an incident took place between your girlfriends 15 year old daughter and your mother, where the 15 year old struck your mother and in response to that incident, your mother told the `15 year old that her actions were unacceptable and told her to leave the house. And, you are stuck between a girlfriend who is telling you that your mother had no right to throw her daughter out of the home and your mother telling you that it is unacceptable to live in a home setting where a teenager thinks that it is acceptable to strike her. Where's the legal issue? The issue is that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and you dont know what to do since you lose whichever way you move forward. I dont know what took place between your girlfriends 15 year old daughter and your mother, but my guess is that you never struck your mother growing up nor would you have thought that same was acceptable. If so, why would it be acceptable for your girlfriends daughter to think that it is acceptable to strike your mother?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.