Petersburg, VA asked in Criminal Law, Animal / Dog Law and Small Claims for Virginia

Q: Found puppy at work no collar, in rough shape. $600 in vet bills, p.o. charged me w/ larceny and refuse reimbursement.

Ultimately want to regain custody of dog due to previous owners neglect, (also found that she has 4 previous unrelated missing dog posts on fb in the last few years) the puppy was not on their property, had no collar or chip, and was in need of medical attention. I had her 5 weeks and then saw that she had people looking for her, I reached out and offered money to keep her, they refused so I asked that they cover the vet expenses upon return of the dog. They refused and filed felony larceny charge against me and the police seized the dog. What are my legal options to combat the false charges, attempt to gain custody, or at least recoup the money I spent at the vet?

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You will want to hire a lawyer for the felony charges. Usually those should play out first and then if you are successful in getting those dismissed you may or may not want to talk to a civil lawyer about potential remedies.

Shemeka C Hankins and Brian S Szmak agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.