Greenville, SC asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina

Q: Is there someone who can help my son and I? Over 14,000 count of toxic black mold was found in our apartment.

A month after moving in my apartment, there was a faulty leak caused by building contractors, causing cracks through my kitchen ceiling, almost caving in on us and resulted in a widespread of mold. This year again over 14,000 count of toxic black mold has returned. I've done everything I've been told to do legally. My son and I are suffering from health issues and has lost most of everything we had in that apartment. We're homeless. My son is 4 years old and having to see a counselor for emotional distress. This has been going on since the beginning of September. No remediation was done throughout this time. The management group didn't give my son and I another place to stay and they mainly avoided communicating with me altogether. The management group accused me of hanging wet clothes in a closet and that being the reason for the widespread of toxic black mold. I've been searching for an attorney but they either know the management group or dont take mold cases. We've now vacated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Carolina attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your heartbreaking and stressful situation. Unfortunately, as you've already learned on your own, mold cases can be difficult to find representation for. Many injury law firms do not take them on. If you haven't already done so, you could try the Find-a-Lawyer here (above, to the left), moving farther out in search radius from the Greenville area. You could look into whether the resources of the South Carolina Bar might be helpful. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.