Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: Can my landlord charge me $550 in late fees for being late on the rent Plus 35 returned check fee

My rent was only 11:50

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Oct 4, 2019

Your lease should lay out what late fees may be assessed. Many leases have terms that charge a fee per day late.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: Decaying bathroom floor after two years of stay was found. Who is responsible for the repairs? Landlord or tenant ?
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Oct 4, 2019

It really depends on the language of the lease. If the tenant knew about the issue and failed to notify the landlord the tenant may have some liability as well.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: If a landlord owns a mobile home park and is neglectful of whole property, how would you report them?

Numerous mobile home units are neglected from repairs. There are units with water damage, units that are rotting, units that are literally falling apart, and huge pest infection throughout whole MHP which in some units living point blank is impossible. Yet homes still get rented out.

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Oct 4, 2019

The most appropriate agency to report these issues to would be the local housing authority or code enforcement depending on where the mobile home park is located.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: My live in tenant went to jail for DUI with back rent owed. Can I evict now or do I have to wait?

This was his 3rd DUI and it appears he'll be jailed for a while. I have no idea how long. He doesn't have anyone to throw his bail and I declined myself. I don't want to be financially responsible. He is on a month-to-month agreement and has been here just over a year. We've had past issues... Read more »

Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Aug 15, 2019

If you have a lease agreement you can evict for five reason:

1) Failure to pay rent;

2) Material violation of the terms of the lease;

3) Failure to maintain the rental unit in a health and safe manner;

4) Abandonment of the unit; or

5) When the lease term...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Identity Theft and Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: Hello my name is Taranika Can i sue the court for gross negligence. Because the judge never submitted a form four.

The judge order the defendant. To move me the defendant never moved me but they issued a rule to vacate but the judge nervous issued a form four but later Dismissed the case with prejudice after he granted negligence in court.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 29, 2019

No.Judicial immunity

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: I have a very disturbing common law marriage question as well as one about residing in our home.

Spent 12 years with someone who always referred to me as his wife.. even a judge in the courtroom. I claimed him on my taxes over the years, and we have purchased things such as auto insurance, healthcare, etc as husband and wife. On July 4, 2017 he ran off an married another woman, who I did not... Read more »

Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale answered on Sep 25, 2018

You would have to file for divorce and establish common law marriage as part of that case in family court. If the court finds that you are common law married, you can be granted a divorce and a division of any assets determined to be marital. You will need a lawyer to accomplish this. I suggest you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: Can a jury trial be requested in a. (Notice to quit premises..) civil case. 5 day notice.... If so on what grounds ...
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 31, 2017

Your best bet is to contact legal services /legal aid. Even if they can't give you representation they can answer those questions and will likely have information on your rights.Usually those cases are brought in a small claims setting. If you don't like the result most states provide you can go to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for South Carolina on
Q: when you give your landlord a 2 months notice can they ask you to move in 30 days
Andrew "Andy" Potter answered on May 6, 2015

Depends on what your lease agreement says. The lease agreement controls as it is a contract between you and the landlord and if the agreement says that 30 days is sufficient, then 30 days is sufficient. Read your lease agreement closely to find out your rights when the term is complete or you... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.