Baltimore, MD asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: Hi, I need help regarding on getting my dog back from ex. I bought the dog; what do I do?

I was in a relationship with my ex partner for 5 years; I bought my dog three years in. I have a receipt from the person I bought the dog from as well as I am currently fighting the bank for the statement showing I withdrew $300 the day my dog was bought. My ex currently has the dog and will not let me have him back nor see him. I need to know what to do to get him back. It has been 3 months since I reached out to see the dog and I am unsure if that looks bad on me; but I didn't reach out until now due to the ex-partner had assaulted me on our last encounter (I do have a witness for that as well as messages of her admitting it). I did not press charges on this matter due to I didn't want anything else to do with her. But it has now came down to she will not let me see nor have my dog back, so I would like to see what has to be done to get him back. Can someone help me with this matter?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Sue in small claims court. But you might only recover the cost of the dog. Check your local court web site for the small claims process. Or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to file in court to try to recover the dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.