Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My husband and I are both facing security suspensions. What are our rights amd now do we defend ourselves at our hearin
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 27, 2020

Your rights and the potential arguments you might be able to make in your defense could depend upon your particular situation. You could contact traffic ticket lawyers in Ohio who practice near the county where the matter is pending. Some offer free brief initial consults. Such a consult could help... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Social Security for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal for my ex wife to keep my childrens social security numbers away from me if I'm supposed to claim one
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 18, 2020

Check your prior tax returns, which will list the children's SSN. You can get copies of prior returns from the IRS. If the divorce decree and separation agreement specified that you could claim as a dependent, and she doesn't provide the SSN, then you could file with the court to order her to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Purchase of Car without title

My friend got into trapped by purchase of car without title. He was informed by the seller that he will get the title released from the bank but still seller has not paid off the loan and title is not yet released.

Now my friend is chasing the seller but seller is not responding.... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Feb 12, 2020

Depending on the value of the car or how much was paid, he should file a complaint in either Superior Court or the Supreme Court. He probably should consult a local debtors rights attorney who can oversee the finer points.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: How to stop an illegal eviction in Ohio? Please help! Emergency situation w/ children! Going to be homeless!

My landlord evicted me within 24 hours after I reported a sexual assault by a neighbor. Trying to make us move, he’s been harassing us & saying discriminating things-via text! He posted a wrong 3 day that the magistrate at court ignored & the magistrate wouldn’t let us speak without cutting us... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 7, 2020

Talk to the attorney who agreed to take your case about the process to object to the magistrate's decision, but if it was for non-payment of rent, you might not succeed in stopping the eviction. And if the magistrate granted the eviction, typically the tenant only has 7 days before the sheriff... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Ohio on
Q: Is the question below legally allowed to be enforced by the University I am attending?

The University I am at enforced a new parking rule saying cars are not allowed to pull through a spot or back into it, all the license plates need to be facing the isle for the security cars to scan them. I feel like that’s a bit much and can the university really restrict the way in which a car... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 3, 2020

A parking lot is private property, and the owner can impose any restrictions on parking, and tow vehicles that do not comply.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: Is the police chief legally able to do this ?

Chief's Message, Wednesday, January 22nd, 2


(a) Any person, persons, corporation or association desiring to use a public park, street or other public property of the City of Port Clinton to hold an activity or event shall first obtain... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 23, 2020

Yes, permitting for public events is common throughout the country. As long as it’s done for safety and scheduling’s sake and not used to discriminate, the courts allow it.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Education Law for Ohio on
Q: I was wondering if I can be expelled from school for something not mentioned in the handbook.

I was accused of something with no proof, given 30 seconds to gather all of my things, expelled for something not mentioned in the handbook and off of school property.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 23, 2020

You can certainly be expelled for something that isn’t in the handbook. They can’t possibly be expected to cover every possible action and most contain some catchall kind of phrase like “other conduct unbecoming of a student.” What are you accused of doing?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for Ohio on
Q: Help with understanding how this is fair? It seems like it should be illegal .

While trying to install a sewage system my town lost money on two occasions by hiring companies that didn't finish the job. So to make up for this loss they force you to hook up to their sewage , charge a seemingly large amount every month for doing so, and if you get behind disconnect you, add a... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 17, 2020

Public sewer issues are usually handled locally. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who can review local ordinances and advise you.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: I live in my uncles house he passed away with no will and it is in forclosure can my cousin come in and throw me out
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Jan 9, 2020

If you've been residing there anyone wanting to kick you out would have to evict you. But the new owner of the home could certainly do so. I don't know if that's your cousin at this point. It sounds like it may be the bank soon.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for Ohio on
Q: Being arrested and held for 19 days without arraignment.... Is this a violation of due process?
Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro answered on Dec 20, 2019




1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Can I be charged with obstruction if I refuse to exit my car at a dui checkpoint

They busted out my window and arrested me without reading me my rights and when I asked why I was being arrested I was told obstruction I asked obstruction of what and was told that they didn't have to explain anything to me I asked for a supervisor and never was allowed to speak with one even... Read more »

Dimitrios Makridis
Dimitrios Makridis answered on Dec 1, 2019

You need to hire an OVI defense attorney asap.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Ohio on
Q: Can I move out of my house at 18 if im still in school but I would be looking to do online school so I can work
Mark A. Weiker
Mark A. Weiker answered on Nov 24, 2019

Yes, you can. You would need to transfer to an online school and provide your current school with the information needed to effectuate the transfer. Your parents may still have access to your education records if you are a dependent for tax purposes. Good luck--and make sure to finish!

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: My son has a learning disability & is on a school iep. My landlord is using my sons disability as a bargaining chip

My son is on an IEP at school & before signing a lease, I asked the landlord, if we were good tenants, would there be any problems when It came time to renew, as I didn't want to have to uproot my child from this program. He assured me everything would be fine. My 3 year lease was about to end in 6... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 12, 2019

That is a difficult situation, made worse by the landlord taking advantage of you, but landlord has no legal obligation to renew a lease. And if there are no local rent control ordinances, landlord can raise rent on a new lease. If you are now on a month to month, either you or landlord can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: Invol man corrupt another w/drugs and trafficking how? The guy told family where to find him, wrote his own obituary?

My sister is being charged with this. Also so is another person. Solely off of a text message. Sat 6 month already in the county jail with a court apt lawyer who didnt even know she had court today. Guy bought from my sister then went and bought from someone else bcuz he said hers was junk. Brother... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Oct 25, 2019

They’re really serious these days about finding those who sell deadly drugs and holding them accountable despite the actions of their buyers. She really needs to work with an attorney she trusts.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Family Law and Child Support for Ohio on
Q: I turn 18 in 30 days. I cant stand being at my house anymore. Is it illegal if i was to leave right now and move out?

My friend has an apartment. Me and him both have jobs. I would still be going to school and getting my education.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 30, 2019

It could cause problems for you and for him if you leave before 18. Hang on for 30 more days. But consider that if you leave now or when 18, you might no longer have any health insurance, car insurance, or other support from your family. If your friend later kicks you out, then that could be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Military Law for Ohio on
Q: Do the statue of limitations apply for wrongful demotion E4 to E1 while on bedrest for pregnancy and dr’s notes proof?

I was in the National Guard 2008-2011, during 2010 I was pregnant with my first child, and put on bedrest, first sgt was real difficult about it and would harass me. 2011 I unexpectedly got pregnant again and was on bed rest. I sent in my doctors notes and received nothing after, until after her... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Sep 24, 2019

If the statute of limitations has passed, your chances are poor to none. You should sit down with a lawyer and go through it. But the SOLs are pretty serious and there are few ways around them.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: I was rented home by a scammer real owner showed up with police saying I had to leave by Monday that property is vacant

I have a lease from scammer I’ve paid 1000 deposit and 850 first months rent what are my rights can they really make me leave like that

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 30, 2019

If the police don't force you out, the owner could file criminal trespass charges against you, and also file an eviction against you. Try to work it out so that an eviction and charges are not filed against you, since those are permanent public records, and can make it difficult for you to rent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: My friend owns a trailer in a rented park. The new owners are now doing background checks . She was charged yrs ago.

With a felony but not convicted . Can they still try to kick her out?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 26, 2019

It depends on what her lease says. Landlord can choose not to terminate her lease when it expires.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Ohio on
Q: If I was charged with D.U.I for a positive drug screen and plead guilty and was already sentenced wouldn't it be double

Jeopardy to later be charged with F-5 internal possession as a whole new case filed against me for that same urine screen which was used as evidence to charge me with D.U.I? I feel that is being tried for the same case twice.

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Aug 6, 2019

This would be an interesting one to argue. The standard for double jeopardy is whether each offense requires proof of an element which the other does not. For the DUI that’s easy. DUI requires proof that you operated a motor vehicle. Drug possession certainly does not. Similarly, normal drug... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Ohio on
Q: Can I file discrimination on management for not addressing an issue with a co-worker who is Black and they are as well

I have had issues for a couple of years with my co-worker and we have new people in and she has personally attacked me and my character and I took it to my supervisor saying I’ve had enough and want to be moved, but I also told her that I really don’t want to leave. I have 29 years in and can... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 28, 2019

Playing the racecard without any evidence and mere conjecture

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.