Rockingham, NC asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: I live in north Carolina and have been squatting at a fairly expensive home like 1.2million does that affect the claim?

It's a huge home that's not had any interest from potential buyers the entire decade I've been squatting there... although the powers always on and I've only had one encounter with the real estate agent that is employed by a company... I live in a little town where mansions are not a common thing.. and it's in the middle of nowhere as well.. I was kicked out on the streets at 15... and honestly lived there virtually undetected by the realty office but associated family knows I have stayed here.. that being said it sits on over 100 acres and is so big I still get lost and has a mile long driveway from the highway it's on... I just really need some info on how to go about claiming this home fully because my little brother and his wife are struggling with the Corona virus and trouble finding work making it difficult to find work to pay rent at their current residence it is just harsh and cold hearted to be homeless in my town please help me

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You need to "squat" for a minimum of 20 years before you could bring an action to have the house transferred to your name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.