Birmingham, AL asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: the father has blocked me on every form of communication and to sign rights over. can i still get child support?

I’m only 3 months pregnant and he’s already said he wanted to sign his rights over because he wants nothing to do with me. he will no unlock me and refuses to help me out in any way. the only reason why he wants to sign his rights over are because he doesn’t want to pay child support. what should i do in this situation and can i still get child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. Terminating his rights does not end the support obligation he has for the child. You need to contact DHR or hire an attorney who can establish custody and child support for you when the time comes (in about 6 months). Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.