La Porte, IN asked in Estate Planning, Banking and Probate for Illinois

Q: RE: illinois unclaimed property of my deceased 2012 mother.

My mother's name is on the Illinois unclaimed property list, by my neglect and procrastination. Must I go through the State of Illinois/Cook County, where she resided and died, to claim this property? I would prefer to go back to the sources (Chase checking account on which I am joint holder; 403b Investment on which I am beneficiary) to get this - possible? I have the account numbers and statements. There is no will and the amounts are not large. No one is going to contest. At the time of her death I handled everything -- took care of her monthly bills and funeral and condo sale/hoa/real estate tax -- without any state involvement. No will, no probate.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: In most states once assets are escheated (turned over) to the state, that is your exclusive way to recover those assets. You must go to the state as the holders of these assets have turned them over to the state. If your state is anything like PA, this process is very detailed, complex and time consuming and slow.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.