Cape Coral, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: if you admit to doing an act after they already got someone for it (petty theft) can you still get in trouble for it?

my son (15) stole a Trump flag and his 18yr old friend got cited (petty theft 2nd degree 1st offense) for it. Now the friend wants my son to sign an affidavit admitting that he did it so this friend can take it to court. Can my son now get in trouble for it months later?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you admit to a crime you can be prosecuted for it unless the Statute of Limitations has run. The State will have to have evidence that a crime occurred before that admission would be admissible. You never want to see an innocent person prosecuted for something they didn't do, however your son should attempt to retain a local lawyer before admitting to anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.