Sacramento, CA asked in Elder Law for California

Q: Do we have an elder financial abuse case?

My dad is a 83 years widower and recently met a female who became his best friend. They have developed an intimacy relationship over the past months. I recently found out that my dad lent his female friend $210,000 in the past few months without a promissory note. According to my dad, his female friend needed money to buy a house. Even though my dad said that she promised him to return the money, the way I see it is that she is able to manipulate my dad and have him do whatever she wants. My dad has even gotten mad with me thinking that I'm intruding his personal live and does not want my help. Chances are that she would continue to exploit my dad financially until he has no money left. Unfortunately, this is not what my dad sees. She has gained my dad's trust. I'm extremely worried about my dad's well being since my dad lives all alone by himself and has no other friends. I'm writing to ask if this female broke the elder law by financially taking advantage of my dad? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This question appears to be requesting a legal opinion. That is normally done within an attorney-client relationship. Based on the limited fact statement above there seems to be a problem. An attorney might be able advise your whether you have standing to do anything about it even if your father objects. A no-obligation consultation is available.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.