Wentzville, MO asked in Civil Rights and Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: Do I have a civil case if a Walmart employee committed a crime against me (meaning Walmart did not create a safe environ

I paid $350+ for a Walmart Grocery pickup order. One of the employees there got into a very heated conversation with me and said "I'm gonna F**K you up, you B***H F****T " among other things. Ultimately, I was never given my order and I had to just accept the abuse.

I think this is a terroristic threat with a Hate Crime component, and I believe this is a legitimate criminal offense. This was all caught on video, and there were almost 10 eyewitnesses (including the woman I was talking to on the phone at the Walmart 800 number to report the incident). I'm not sure if Walmart records all calls but the woman on the phone did hear what was said. I think this is a lot of evidence that should be very easy to collect.

Do I have a civil case against Walmart because one of their employees committed a crime against me (and they did not create a safe environment for customers in this situation)?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: I’m sorry that you were subjected to such unprofessional treatment. You ask if you “have a case.” You have a case if you sue and have a case number assigned.

Given that your actual damages would be tough to calculate and it doesn’t appear that you were physically harmed, you are unlikely to find an attorney to represent you on a contingency or percentage basis. Call a couple of attorneys, however. Maybe someone will assess the situation differently than me.

Ultimately, you’ll have a case if you are willing and able to pay an attorney to represent you on and hourly basis. Wal-Mart won’t just roll over and pay you a lot of money. Expect to pay thousands of dollars if you go that route. Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.