Austin, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I've been in a relationship for 15 years. We have shared the home the entire time. Can she just kick me out?

The home was in her father's name but we payed all of the bills together. I helped raise her two kids and worked the entire time. I recently went to jail for 90 days she picked me up when I got out I've been back home for 5 almost 6 months. She is trying to kick me out threatening me with calling the sheriff and telling them this is not my home and she doesn't want me here. She has tried to start several fights and trying to bait me into a physical confrontation so can put me in jail or get s restraining order against me and force out of the home. I have no problem with leaving it the manner in which she is doing it. I have 15 years of my life in this house and she doesn't want to acknowledge that and wants to kick me out with my clothes and a few personal items. What am I entitled to and why should I be forced out of my home in such a way after 15 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Unfortunately, the house belongs to the person whose name is on the title, not the person paying bills. In this case, it's

not clear whether your girlfriend or her father owns the house, but your long residency there doesn't give you any rights to the property. If all you own is your personal things, and the two of you aren't married, then your personal things are all you'll be entitled to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.