Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Colorado

Q: What if somebody makes up lies that my child's life is in danger to be granted emergency guardianship to my child.

The lies were proven in court and judge told her to return the child and she did not. She hid my child causing her to not be able to attend school, I thought my child might be dead. At contempt hearing the judge said there was not an order even though I have a recording of him saying it and last thing on min order says child is to be returned by the end of the day. After being missing for 2months my child turned herself in to CPS. Cps didn't contact me and placed my child in an abusive environment. Judge ordered me to pay contempt attorney bills of the other party. The petition filed to gain emergency guardianship didn't have the proper paper work attached. As evidenced by the file date on them. Having a hard time paying for somebody's lawyer that illegally stole my child. The anguish and turmoil I endured not knowing my child's whereabouts for that long has affected me in ways I can't begin to describe. How should I proceed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Maye
Sean Maye
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: First off, I am so sorry you're experiencing this.

Now, unfortunately, what you've written here is a bit confusing and inconsistent. On one hand, you're saying that there was a formal contempt order from the court, but on the other hand you're saying the same judge who issued that order later said that this was not true. You're also saying that, for some unstated reason, you were ordered to pay fees/costs, which is unusual if you were truly not implicated in the contempt issues somehow. You will need to sit down with a lawyer to discuss the case in much more detail to truly assess what happened in the past and what your options are now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.