Lumberton, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: How can I keep my son's mother's boyfriend from keeping my son while she is gone to work? I have joint custody of my son

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You might not be able to. If there is a custody order which gives the mother certain custodial time, she still has to "live her life" during her custodial time, which would likely include working. The same applies with you - you might have to work or might have some other commitment during your custodial time, and you will have to work out alternate childcare (family, romantic partner, daycare, etc). The mother should have very little control over how you work out childcare, just as you should have very little control over how she works out childcare.

If the boyfriend is not a suitable person to watch the child, you can file a motion to modify based on this individual. If you work from home and can supervise your child, this also might be grounds to file a motion to modify.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.