Parkville, MD asked in Elder Law for Maryland

Q: I live in Maryland, my parents are moving into assisted living, how do I protect their assets?

My father's health is deteriorating more than my mother's and I'm afraid the he may be headed for a nursing home soon. His health situation just came about within the last year so we are within the dreaded 5yrs penalty. I am the power of attorney but all his assets are still in his and my mother's names. Is there anyway of protecting their assets for my mother so she has enough money to stay in assisted living if my father has to go into a nursing home? Right now they have enough to keep them in assisted living for at least the next 5 or 6 yrs but I know nursing homes are much more expensive.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Consult with a local experienced estate planning attorney to map out the best course of action for your parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.