Asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: My parents have a "Verified Joint Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Medicaid requires a divorce "decree"- same?

They used an attorney, saw a mediator and amicably settled after 50 yrs of marriage, in 2006.

Documents I have: Case No. 06 D 003500

- Petition by my mother, stamped 3/29/2006, Dorothy Brown, Clerk/Circuit Court

- Verified Joint Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, stamped 3/29/2006, Dorothy Brown, Clerk/Circuit Court, signed by both parent & attorney

- Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage (granted), unstamped, unsigned by either party, attorney or judge

Q: Are they legally divorced per these documents or do I need to obtain a final "decree" or judge-signed document?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The Verified Petition of Dissolution and unsigned documents are meaningless. You need a cetified copy of the Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage signed by the judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.