Spanaway, WA asked in Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for Washington

Q: Rehomed my puppy to a family, they only paid part the agreed amount and have avoided paying the rest, can I get my dog?

I chose to re-home my dog after suffering an accident and the reason was to help my family and find a better home for my best friend, I've heard every excuse in the book and all the promises that go with it... I miss my dog, he saved my life more than once and he's worth more than $350 to me, the family that bought him seemed trustworthy so when he couldn't pay it all I worked with him, all I have are texts of his intentions but I'm worried about Bandit and with time going on I'm worried they will disappear completely... If he's finish paying I would have to accept it right? But the longer this goes the more I hear about how Bandit got kennel cough and other various stuff. So my main question is, is there something I can do to get my dog back since he defaulted on finishing payments continuously? We could use the money but I don't even want it anymore... Tacoma wa

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: You can sue to get your dog back for nonperformance on a contract. Text messages will be sufficient to prove there was an agreement, if you do not have a formal, written contract. I would recommend contacting a local civil litigation or contract lawyer in your area to help you with this lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.