Owasso, OK asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: what to expect with first offense domestic a&b charge?

My brother was arrested yesterday for domestic a&b after my sister attacked him. She pressed charges against him but he did not against her. She wont show up to court she is addicted to drugs and hardly there. What should I expect? I am very scared he is going to get prison time over this. She did not get checked my medical professionals.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If it is a first offense, it should only be a misdemeanor. That means the worst he can get is 1 year jail time. If she is not going to testify against him then most likely it will be dismissed unless he gave a statement incriminating himself or someone else witnessed the altercation and they are going to testify. He should get a good attorney that the DA doesn't want to mess with.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.