Ann Arbor, MI asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Health Care Law for Michigan

Q: This summer I experienced a very serious health issue that required an ER visit to UMMC - Ann Arbor.

I did not consult my primary doctor as he does not take call and is not available to patients after office hours.. This occurred late at night - 11:30pm or later. During the consult with the ER Doc she was inputting info into the computer with her back turned. In checking her notes later I was alarmed to see she quoted me as telling her I had been addicted to benzos. This is absolutely untrue. I have never had an addiction issue. I am aware of the issues with addiction and am familiar with medicine. My husband is an MD (disabled since end 2008). I have contacted the UM to no avail. They did discuss it with the ER dr who stands by her initial statements. This is something that will impact any medical care I receive going forward. I am trying to rectify this but am powerless against UMMC. Please help me address this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Michigan attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. As a starting point, reach out to an attorney. They will probably need to request your medical records, conduct an investigation, and assess options (including the possibility of going to court), if the hospital will not change its position. You may also want to discuss this with your primary care doctor, as their records could become relevant in supporting your assertions. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.