Glenwood, IL asked in Consumer Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: Where can I find a free or fee based attorney to help me save my house? I have kids

Between husband being off due to infection in hand and when he went back to work a pay cut and my hours cut we are behind on our home and now an attorney has sent us a letter about taking house

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for five weeks. You could try running some searches under "legal aid attorneys" and similar and related terms. Also try searching for "pro bono legal services." Look into whether the Illinois State Bar Association has any helpful resources. State bar associations SOMETIMES have resources for free or low cost legal services.

Here is a link to a page from the HUD (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) - Avoid Foreclosure - Illinois -

Here is another one to the Illinois Housing Development Authority - Foreclosure Prevention Programs

You can probably find additional resources online with other government offices. I hope things turn around for the better for your family in the year ahead. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.