Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Is it possible for my father to get his green card without leaving the country?

My dad is 56 years old, has lived in the US since he was 17, he does not pay taxes, he has 6 children (only 1 under the age of 18), his wife (my mother) is a resident. He is the sole provider for the family (All other siblings live with the parents while they go to school) including my mom who has chronic kidney disease and is going to physical therapy. I know he has gone to jail for reasons such as not paying tickets and driving without a license.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stanley Dale Radtke
Stanley Dale Radtke
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Not possible to answer your question without more information. There are many grounds of inadmissibility and entering the US without permission is merely one. There are criminal bars to admission and the public charge ground to admission. My suggestion would be for your father to consult with an experience immigration attorney who can provide you with actual legal advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.