Baton Rouge, LA asked in Uncategorized for Louisiana

Q: Can I sued my employer for letting other employees use the N-word towards me when I spoke to management and she said it

was appropriate to used and say towards me bc it's in a song

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Heath Dillon
J. Heath Dillon
  • Leesville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: An employer may not discriminate against employees based on race. Federal and state law prohibits this. Additionally, employers, managers and leaders have an obligation to ensure that employees under their supervision are not participating in discriminatory behavior. Us of the "N" word within the workplace is prima facia evidence of discrimination, and supervisors who allow such behavior fail to prevent discrimination within the workplace. Consult with an employment law attorney in your area to discuss your situation. Also, consider discussing your circumstances with leadership within your organization. Document discussions. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.