Louisville, KY asked in Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: Can someone seek refugee or asylum if their family abused them in the past or hate them and feel unsafe in the future?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: This is a complicated, yet reasonable questions. It requires an appointment. More information is needed.

An asylum applicant must prove that they have a well founded fear of 'persecution.' That means that the nation of citizenship must be unable to prevent harm being caused to the applicant on account of politics, race, religion, or member in a particular social group.

An attorney can review a claim, when the attorney is given enough time to investigate and interview the applicant. The U.S. Government has difficulty appreciating these types of asylum claims without making careful distinctions. Such distinctions can result in denial and eventual deportation. This sort of asylum claim is better understood by other nations who are also signatories to the Convention Against Torture.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications. An applicant may have other options.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.