San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: My childrens mother is moving them to Anchorage Alaska from San Antonio Texas. I do not agree with this what can I do?

My children do not want to move with their mother. We do have a child support agreement and we share custody of the children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathy Elizabeth Roux
Kathy Elizabeth Roux
  • Southlake, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should review the custody order regarding the terms of custody for you and their mother. Generally, there is language in the custody order that prevents one parent from moving the children a certain distance away from the other parent, and from moving the children out of the state because Texas courts have jurisdiction over the children.

You may hire an attorney to file a pleading contesting their mother moving them out of the state, set it for hearing, and provide their mother with notice of the filing and the hearing. You may want to request injunctive relief to prevent their mother from moving the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.