Odenville, AL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Alabama

Q: My son turned 18 and moved out of his mother's house to live with his girlfriend. Does child support continue ?

I am current on my child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker

A: As general rule, the order will not self-terminate until a new Court order is entered; states have different versions of laws governing how and when the child is emancipated and when the child support obligation ends.

While the custodial parent is not entitled to the child support on emancipation, getting it back from the parent is much harder than filing appropriate legal documents to terminate.

I would recommend you file the appropriate pleadings with the court in your state to terminate the child support. You may be able to do it on your own with assistance from the Court’s law library or an experienced attorney who can handle on a limited scope engagement for that purpose.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.