Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Florida

Q: My boyfriend is currently locked up in Collier county with a warrant from Orange County for Burglary with assault/batt

He got into a verbal altercation with his dad at their residence and walked back into the home but ever assaulted anyone. He has proof that he was residing there at the time of the incident & his dad never pressed charges. Is there a way we can get the charges dropped or a way he could get released down here if the correct paperwork is brought to the correct place in Orange County proving he lives there. He’s just sitting in 23 hour lockdown because of COVID & over misunderstanding to be throwin into confinement I feel there has to be something that can be done

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Why are you assuming the warrant is for the incident with his dad if his dad never pressed charges? Something's missing here. Either his dad DID press charges or the warrant is for something else. Another possibility is that his dad first decided to press charges, then changed his mind, but too late to stop the wheels in motion. Your boyfriend will most likely will be transported to Orange County for a first appearance with a judge. It's best to consult a criminal defense county in the Orlando area. You can find one at https://www.justia.com/lawyers or by contacting the Fla. Bar Lawyer Referral Service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.