Saraland, AL asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: can i have my arears resolved if my oldest is 21 and my youngest passed away in January?

i have not had my child support amended when my oldest turned 19. my youngest had cancer and i knew she would need it. the reason i owe arears is due to surgeries and health issues. i tried contacting child services at the time, but never got thru to anyone there.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You cannot remove past due child support amounts. They are final judgements against you in the month that they are unpaid. You can attack a judgment on some very narrow grounds, but not based on what you have laid out. You should have gone back to court when your income changed. You can modify child support based on one child's reaching the age of 19, but you must make a court filing to do that. Find a lawyer and get this done, at least.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.