Yuma, AZ asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma

Q: My 16 year old niece ran away from home (Oklahoma) Sox days ago to Kansas. What are the option to make her return home.

She lives with her mother, I just want to know what her mother’s options are at this point because law enforcement says since this girl is 16, actually has the mentality of a 12 year old there is nothing they can do to make her come home.

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Unless you have a guardianship of the child it would be up to her parents to take action. I would say calling the police would be the best place to start. The parents should also consult with a family law attorney asap to explain the situation in full detail and that attorney can then explain any other available options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.