Arlington, TX asked in Estate Planning, Civil Rights and Elder Law for Texas

Q: i am very worried as over 50, disabled, and no family. can a lawyer hold my living will? have a house, etc, but no exec.

no executor,,and heirs unclear. can a lawyer be executor? also have funeral plot, everything prepaid....but greenwood mt olivet is now saying that a nonmedical person would need to contact them when i die to initiate burial...or they said my body will be dumped into some bin for many weeks. this is outrageous and against all of my valued. can a lawyer be the one to contact them. please help. God Bless

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can complete an Appointment for Disposition of Remains saying who you want to handle your remains. You must sign it before a notary. The person you appoint must sign accepting the appointment. That person need not be a family member.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.