Raleigh, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: Anything that can be legally done if a spouse is working but not contributing or helping with household expenses?

My husband is working full time but claims to not have money for bills and household needs. Is there something I can do since he isn't helping financially?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Legally done? No, there isn't a way you can legally force your spouse to contribute to the household bills. He can't force you to do anything, and you can't force him to do anything.

You are on a site full of divorce attorneys, so perhaps you'll receive some feedback to divorce his sorry ***, but that doesn't directly solve your problem. Marital counseling might be an effective way where you can share your frustration, but that is more general advice and not a legal solution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.