San Antonio, TX asked in Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Domestic Violence and Education Law for Texas

Q: Remedies for protective order falsely obtained

Protective orders used to recover property coowner

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you were served notice of an upcoming protective order hearing, and the attached application included false accusations, then you should hire an attorney to contest the issuance of the order. A protective order is a civil matter, even if the justification is an accusation of criminal behavior, so there will be no attorney appointed to represent you. Beware that protective order litigation favors the applicant so it is not easy to win as the respondent. You'll need a really good attorney to have a real chance of victory.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.