Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Uncategorized for Texas on
Q: I’ve been trying to research. I can’t find a definitive answer. I am looking at studying law.

Is it still possible for me to become a attorney with a family violence misdemeanor in TX?

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 7, 2021

I do not know the answer but the first thing I would research is the investigation relating to the "Declaration of Intent" that all law school students must pass to become an attorney in Texas. The investigation decides whether or not you are mentally and morally fit to become an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Is it required of teachers to fill out a SSA Teacher Questionnaire for a former student who has graduated and seeking

SSI disability? Is this a federal requirement? Are there consequences for a teacher who doesn't answer.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Mar 22, 2021

No, it is not mandatory that a teacher complete a Teacher Questionnaire. However, please consider completing either the questionnaire or a letter to describe your former student's functioning because the information you provide is an important part of the disability assessment. For more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Can I sue the school for forcing my son to work out till it caused a Non displaced fibula fracture in his leg!

My son is ten years old weighs 170 and is around 5'4 he was in DAEP a discipline school for kids for a couple weeks during this time he didn't do his homework so his school for a whole school day worked him out for 45mins then 15 mins studies ALL DAY! During these work outs he tells them... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 7, 2021

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a month. I'm very sorry for your son's injury. You could reach out to local attorneys to discuss in detail; law firms that handle these types of cases generally offer free initial consults. If the doctor's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Texas on
Q: If a 13-year-old in the 7th grade, in texas suffers from ADD, is there any sort of special help/bonus they can receive?

this student resides in Dallas county and goes to highland park middles school, in the highland park independent school district.

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow answered on Feb 4, 2021

It is possible that your student could qualify for 504 Accommodations or a Special Education (IEP). You may consider requesting an evaluation for eligibility.

In order to be entitled to a special education, the student must have a qualifying disability and the disability must adversely...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Domestic Violence and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Remedies for protective order falsely obtained

Protective orders used to recover property coowner

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Dec 27, 2020

If you were served notice of an upcoming protective order hearing, and the attached application included false accusations, then you should hire an attorney to contest the issuance of the order. A protective order is a civil matter, even if the justification is an accusation of criminal behavior,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Intellectual Property and Education Law for Texas on
Q: If someone retypes my contract, different font same words then signs, is this legal and his property, not mine?

Have determined this is not a print program in my issue. I haven't signed it yet. Misrepresentation of fact? An attp to defraud me by his creation of intellectual property?

Kathryn Perales
Kathryn Perales answered on Dec 14, 2020

I think you are asking whether, by copying a contract you created, someone is infringing your copyright rights, and if so, how you can stop them or get them to pay you damages.

If your contract is legally considered creative enough to have copyright rights, then the verbatim copying is...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Is it possible to get a texas teacher certificate reinstated after it was voluntarily surrendered permanently.

I am a former educator and in october 2012 I was brought into the district for inappropriate relationship with a student. They showed text messages we shared and asked i wanted to resign or have it go public. I resigned and in January I had my teaching certificate voluntarilly surrendered without... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jul 24, 2020

Ask an attorney who focuses on a practice area like Administrative Law and/or Professional Licensing.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: My son is a transfer student and their trying to deny him

my son has a 504 in place for a disability and the school is trying to no longer accept him as a transfer student because he wasn't able to be at school alone this year but has kept grades up just because they aren't making money on him can they do this legally if they already knew and... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Jun 5, 2020

This is not a question of criminal law because discrimination is not a crime... although maybe it should be.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Costo por trámite se residencia americana Bajo entrada legal al país y validación de título profesional.
Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on May 25, 2020

El costo depende de la forma como intente obtener la residencia. Por ejemplo, por el trabajo, inversión, por petición familiar, etc. Tendría que conocer los detalles de su caso para determinar la mejor forma para ayudarle.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Texas on
Q: I am only custodial parent. Someone else withdrew my daughter from school without my permission she is 16. Legal?

I know who is sheltering her. I don't know if that same person withdrew her. She knows we want her home but this person allows her to do whatever she wants and opens the door for her. I've sent police, nothing stops it.

Arpita Legha
Arpita Legha answered on Apr 8, 2020

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this during this time. It does not sound like the actions to withdraw your daughter from school were legal. You most likely need to file an enforcement action or another motion to have your daughter brought back to you based on the custody agreement or... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Texas on
Q: Is Texas a one party consent law for recorded phone conversations? Is this admissible in court?

I need a lawyer for juvenile son with disability. He has been the victim of malicious prosecution

No summons to appear

Detained 17 days proper protocol not followed for suicide watch

Denied medication

“Sentenced” without lawyer

Received “deferred... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Feb 10, 2020

For the purposes of adult criminal law, introducing the recordings will require a witness who is acquainted with the voice of the speakers and can identify them. The witness should be able to establish who made the recording, how it was made, that it is a fair and accurate representation of what... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Texas on
Q: what is the difference from first party and second party
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 16, 2019

In simple terms, it could distinguish the practice of handling a claim through one's own insurance (first-party) or through an outside insurance (third-party). In civil procedure, the terms could be used in new designations for the parties when people who were not part of the original action... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Do electronic applications/contracts require an electronic signature by the applicant or will a checkbox do?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 18, 2019

As a general matter, without regard to any state-specific laws, either would serve as an acceptance or agreement. A signature is stronger. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for Texas on
Q: I have legal custody of my kids in Texas, my ex's parents are holding them from me, can I go get my kids from school?

Long story short our house caught fire, I left my kids in LA while we repaired the house, never signed any custody or guardianship, things took longer than expected due to several deaths in my family, since they have had them they tell my kids bad things about me, tell my kids to lie to me,... Read more »

Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton answered on Nov 11, 2019

Your issues sound very complicated. I do not think that you should follow legal advice on the internet with your facts. You should sit down with an attorney who can properly evaluate your details and issues. You may well have rights to go to your kids school however. But, you need to make sure... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Texas on
Q: What do I need to do?

I keep calling the number on the back of my citation/ticket and they keep telling me my information is not in the system..

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on May 21, 2019

That happens sometimes. Consider putting a recurring event on your calendar that reminds you to call them every Wednesday at 10am. If you are bad at using your calendar perhaps set an alarm on your smart phone for that purpose.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: What happens if I abruptly terminate my US F-1 status in the middle of the semester?

I was approved for a Canadian permanent residency. Now I want to end my studies in the US and depart the country asap. My semester started on Jan 14, 2019 and its Feb 19, 2019. What method of termination would apply in my case ? Are there future consequences for entering into the US?

P.S :... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Feb 22, 2019

We recommend that you speak with your school’s DSO. Generally under the circumstances you will want to go through the proper channels so you do not jeopardize your ability to reenter the US. It is more than likely a question of notifying the proper authorities of your intentions and then... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Texas on
Q: So in the Meyer v Nebraska case why was it ruled unconstitutional and what evidence did they have to prove that

I'm doing a project for school where I have to defended Meyers while a classmate of mine defends the State of Nebraska. I need 3 top pieces of evidence proving what they did was unconstitutional.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Feb 7, 2019

Cool Simon. They deal with assignment is for you to do the work not to ask someone else to do it for you.

This is a public forum. I hope for your sake that your teacher does not also utilize this forum and discover your question.

This sounds like a violation of the honor code to me

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Can a lawsuit be won based on opinion?

Some parents at my kids school filed complaints against a coach and the Superintendent removed him from coaching duties. They hired an investigator who found no legal wrong doing. The Superintendent claims he removed him because he fears a lawsuit if the coach were to not play on of the kids or... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 15, 2018

Lawsuits are often won or lost on opinions, despite the fact that it can result in outcomes that are not always fair. The coach could present these facts to a Texas employment attorney to discuss if he has legal remedies worth pursuing.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Education Law for Texas on
Q: I obtained a Bachelors degree from ITT Technical Institute, at the time, I was told that it was accredited.

Now, I'm finding out that it is not accredited and none of the credits transfer and I'm not working in my field of study in which I obtained the Bachelor degree. I feel that the degree is worthless and yet I'm still paying on student loans.

Is there anything that can be done?

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Jun 13, 2018

Please look at this link for more information relating to ITT - you may have to copy and paste as it doesn't show to be a hyperlink.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Employment Law, Business Formation and Education Law for Texas on
Q: Starting a after school program at a school district. Wanting to know how to get a contract developed between partners.

Wanted to know what type of business would be better: non-profit or a LLC. Should I have a lawyer look over contract between my company and the school district. Do I need another company to handle taxes and payroll.

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on May 14, 2018

An attorney would need to know more about the program to advise on what type of business structure to use. There are many factors to consider when forming a business. It would be best to have a lawyer review a contract with a school district.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.