Kingston, PA asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Looking to see if I can get help with Child Support.

Set up Child support in 2016, i believe, making $67,000 yrly. Due to Covid my pay has decreased significantly. Because of this I have reached out to child support for Modification, Unfortunately I was told "You do not need to file a modification your job can only take 65%." I am currently Netting $300 every to weeks. I am homeless just looking for some one with legal experience that can help me get a fair shake in this fight so that I can pay for Child Support and have some semblance of quality of life. My pleas to Child Support and kids mother are falling on deaf ears.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The only was an existing child support order can change is if a court issues a new order. The way you get a new order is to file a motion to modify child support based on a change of circumstances. The other parent can consent to the change by agreement, which would make the process go fairly quick and easy; otherwise, there will be a hearing at some point, possibly months from now, to hear your evidence and make a decision. A court can modify an existing order retroactive to the date you file your motion, but not further back. Therefore, the sooner you file, the more money you are likely to protect. Child Support Enforcement is not in your side in this. They pursue collection of child support on behalf of the parent receiving support, so reaching out to them is not likely to result in them helping you as opposed to hindering you. There are self-help family law forms available on the court’s website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.