Jacksonville, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: If my Childs father does not give her back on aggreged upon date can I call the cops?

Father is on the birth certificate but my daughter has been with me for all 5 years of her life. No custody or parenting plan is in place. I'm allowing her to go visit for 2 days. If he decides to keep her can I call the cops? He does not pay child support and there is nothing in the courts that says we share time with the child. I'm scared i won't be helped at all if i let her go and he does not bring her back to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are this concerned then you should not let her go until you have a court order. Legally you have all the rights based on what you say but that won't automatically stop him from refusing to return the child. Make him go to court if he wants timesharing and have him pay child support as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.