Louisville, KY asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: When moving to another state after divorce, how could mom get full custody of kids? All 3 are under the age of 8.

I am contemplating divorcing my husband and moving back to my home state of Florida, but I am worried he would try and take full custody of my kids. How could I get full custody?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Aleksander
Anna Aleksander
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: In Kentucky the easiest way to achieve this would be via an agreement reached in the divorce. If there is an objection, then the Court would decide based on the best interest of the children. This determination would be made at a custody hearing. The party seeking to move must have legitimate reasons for doing so and not solely to interfere with the other parent’s rights. The party seeking to move must give notice. The party seeking sole custody has the burden to prove why they should get it. In Kentucky there is a presumption that joint custody is in the best interest of the children and this presumption must be rebutted. This is not legal advice but only a general answer and does not create an attorney client relationship. Consult with a lawyer about your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.